Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Delicious Discoveries in Naga

We went to a lot of places in Naga. We visited most of the churches and went mountain climbing to visit a refreshing waterfall. We even watched a movie there for only P135.00 pesos! So we're definitely going back and part of the reason is to taste some local delicacies.


But for now, let me tell you and show you some of the other delicious gems we tasted there.

Street food is always a welcome treat to the hungry traveler and my companion did not let this chicken treat pass us by without a bagful. The usual street food fare was on the cart but the crunchy little nuggets of chicken in the middle of the food cart was my friend's target. Accordingly, these were called Chicken Nuggets and they cost P1.00 for each bite-sized morsel which were not skimpy in size at all.

My friend devoured them happily, licking her fingers afterwards so apparently, they were that tasty. I didn't try them that time as I was too tired to even munch on anything but this is a must-try when I go back.

One of the best things to do to find out about what's good to eat and where is to ask the locals. We did just that and we we're not disappointed by the recommendations we we're able to try. For example, the best burger joint in town turns out to be a place called Fat Joe's. So as soon as we we're free in the afternoon, we headed there to get a bite of their burger selection.

We ordered the classic Cheese Burger which of course had a side of fries. When it arrived, it looked like your regular burger but the fries we're noticeably larger in size. I even thought we we're being cheated and that these we're not actually potato fries but camote (sweet potato). I'm glad I was wrong.

The potato fries we're thick and tasted like real potatoes as potato fries should taste. These were a far cry from the bland taste of fast food fries which you needed to dip into ketchup or gravy to enjoy. But to those who like their dip, the order came with ketchup and mayo sitting side-by-side on one container.

And the burger? The burger was indeed flavorful and the patty was rather hefty but I'm not complaining. Imagine with only the patty, a slab of cheese and some onions and tomatoes in between the buns, the whole burger was almost the size of a double cheese burger at McDonald's when you bite into it. 


The patty was soft and juicy but firm enough to handle being squished in between the buns as you bite. And you will definitely know it's been just prepared because not only is it warm, you also have oil running down your fingers while you hold the burger. Is that good or bad? I'm not sure but we're sure this burger joint deserves another visit.

One of the things our local source said about this burger is that when you burp, you don't taste burger. This sounded weird and impossible but we still tried burping afterwards and failed a couple of times. When we did get our burps however, we realized that our source was right!

On our last day, we decided to sample the best Halo-Halo in town. The place was an eatery named DJC's and part of their menu we're the summer favorites Halo-Halo and other sweet and cold treats.

So I tried DJC's Halo-Halo (P85.00 I think) without the ice cream. I was used to the size of Chowking's regular Halo-Halo so I wasn't sure if I could finish this when I saw how big the serving size was and it wasn't because of all the ice either.


A very unusual twist which I was happy about in this halo-halo is that it had grated cheese. I have put cheese on stuff I find too sweet just to balance the flavor and this concept works here perfectly. Even if most of the ingredients are on the sweet side, the cheese neutralized the flavors so you don't grow tired of eating all the sweet stuff on the bowl.


See how large the serving size is? The classic halo-halo ingredients were all here only amped up in terms of portion and flavor. There was leche flan, ube halaya, sweetened banana, gelatine and of course milk. But I think, it also tasted more refreshing because of the fine ice shavings which gave this sweet indulgence a creamy, melt-in-your-mouth texture.

Now, I'm sure I'll be craving for halo-halo with cheese come next summer or maybe even next week. I guess I'll just have my cheese ready.


No comments:

Post a Comment