Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Bonding Over Cake

It's the new year and when I look at this blog, I had only 21 posts last year. That's a sad statistic for someone who wants to call herself a writer. Well, I am called that at my work but I don't get paid to write blog posts there, so you get what I mean. That's why one of the things I want to work on this new year is to be able to write on this blog on a regular basis.


I'm going to have to do this with baby steps. As a start, I should be able to manage 2 blog posts in a week.  Yup, very conservative of me but I'm just being realistic. So here goes, my first post for this year. It's from my reunion over dinner with a friend whom I had not seen for quite some time. We bonded over life stories, particularly work, and of course food.

Aside from the fact that we we're both loving organic products, we we're also wanting to savor the cakes we saw at BigOli. So, we ordered two of them. I was so stressed out from the holiday shopping and from all the rush requirements at work that I decided to destress with a huge meal.
My dinner consisted of  Minestrone Soup, Pork Piccata with Italian Rice and a slice of Turtle Cheesecake. Yes, I was very hungry. My friend had already eaten so she ordered just the Minestrone Soup and another cake. Then, we talked about a lot of stuff like our jobs and even our situations in life at the moment as we wolfed down our dinner.

For our dinner fare, we both agreed that the Minestrone Soup was very delicious and filling. I love that it had red beans too. The tomato tasted just right and not sour or overpowering to the taste buds. The soup also came with a stick of warm, garlic bread so it's really great for a light meal.

Their Piccata has always been a favorite of mine. It's my go-to dish when I don't know what to eat whenever I eat here. It tasted as good as I remember it to be although the servings seem to have decreased in size and the rice looked like it lacked certain ingredients that I remember to have been there with my previous orders of this item.
Dessert was waiting for us so we quickly got to them. First up was the Turtle Cheesecake that I ordered. It looks yummy and it tasted even yummier. The chocolatey bits on top were not too sweet, just the way I like my chocolate. The yellow topping, I don't remember what it was but I remember it being sweet and chewey.

Then, the middle was creamy and a little on the salty side. It's the cheesecake part of this yummy thing. Then at the bottom is the crust. Maybe this is what fulfills the "turtle" part of the name since the crust is the shell of the cake.



Anyway, this was a satisfying treat, so of course the other one did not go unattended. My friend ordered this, although sadly, I don't remember what it's called. But it was very tasty too so I guess that's why I forgot it's name?


All I distinctly remember is that, this had a sweet top and was soft the rest of the way down, like a butter cake. It was airy and light and was a good contrast to the heavy sweetness of the Turtle Cheesecake. I'll try to take a bite of this when I eat here again. I'll be sure to invite a friend along so I can remember what I ate.

Well now that I have at least posted these delicious pics and told you about most of them, I leave you with a wish for a delicious and fun new year ahead. Happy New Year!



2 comments:

  1. Tama, more posts dapat! Parang ang sarap nga ng cheesecake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oo nga. I need to keep up with the schedule. Yummy nga ang cheesecake na yan, naiinspire tuloy ako mag bake din. :-)

    ReplyDelete